There is now a tab in our sidebar for ~donating~!
Yes, we have a WePay account now….because they’re COOL.
Also, fundraising, even in very small amounts, is going to help us become an even more amazing group in the future!
This money WILL NOT be going in anyone’s pocket. It’s going to be directly benefiting YOU the members of the Boston Whovians.
To give you some idea of what we’ll be able to do once we have some club funds:
- have cooler prizes for costumes contests and games and such
- actually buy food/snacks/refreshments for meetups
- buy nicer business cards
- buy a nicely printed sign/banner
- have group funds to contribute to things like tips and bills when we go out together
- help Whovians on tight budgets pay for transportation to meetups
- contribute to group-rate convention passes
- rent a table at cons so we can sell things we make and generally show off how awesome we are
- save money to rent out places for BIG events (like the 50th)…which is a step towards having a CON of our own someday in the distant future!
WePay is also going to be the perfect way to collect payments for things like tshirts and bracelets, which people have talked about having made in the past.
ALSO, sometime before the Christmas Party, I will be accepting payments for raffle tickets so, even if you aren’t able to attend the event, you’ll be able to be in the running for some of the cool prizes we’ll have up for grabs! :D
I’m so, so excited about the future of this group! I love all of you and can’t wait to see where the next year takes us!
~Tori, the TARDIS
November Meetup is TOMORROW!
Sorry about the lack of updates about this before now, things got a little crazy and uncertain for a while. But, rest assured, this meetup is happening!
- We will be meeting tomorrow (12/24), around 1pm, in front of Faneuil Hall in Boston. NOT THE PRU! (We figured a change of scenery wouldn’t hurt!)
- We’ll get some lunch in the awesome Faneuil Hall food court, wander around for a bit, take pictures, and generally socialize. If anyone wants to sing happy birthday and eat cupcakes or something for the show’s 49th birthday, I’d totally be down for that!
- There is NOT a specified “end time” for this event. As with all of our meetups, come when you can and leave when you need to.
- This is going to be a very casual meetup. Don’t feel like you have to go crazy with the costuming, especially if it means you won’t be warm! I’m not expecting there to be a huge turn out (though I’ve been wrong before…) so this will be a nice relaxed, chance for everyone to get to know each other better!
- We’ll probably be discussing some plans for the CHRISTMAS PARTY. I also want to talk about the potential of fund-raising for the group, so if you can make it, come with some ideas!
- Unfortunately, I do not have the Boston Whovians sign with me. I didn’t have enough arms to carry it along with everything else I needed to bring home for Thanksgiving. :( If anyone else wants to bring some kind of signage, feel free! Though, I think we’re all pretty good at finding each other at this point.
- If you can, please RSVP to the event on Facebook! This way we know how many people to expect and can know who we’re waiting for!
DID I COVER EVERYTHING? GOOD.
I hope I get to see at least a few of you there!
-Tori, the TARDIS
Also, my train home is (most likely) not until 8pm. If the meetup breaks up a few hours before that (which it probably will) I REALLY want to go and see Skyfall. Because BRITISH REASONS. If anyone wants to join me, that would be cool!
I’m honestly so overwhelmed it’s a little ridiculous.
I love this fandom and everyone in it, despite it’s flaws.
I especially adore my Boston Whovians.
I can’t wait for all the adventures to come!
Well, the Halloween party may have been barely a week ago, but we’re already planning for the November meetup!
We’re planning on keeping it much more low-key….and much more indoors! It’s starting to get really chilly, even for people who wear costumes that involve twelve foot scarves!
Be sure to check out the posts about it on the facebook page. We plan these things by taking a vote about dates and locations and seeing what works for the most people!
Right now, the popular date seems to be November 24th, a couple of days after Thanksgiving. I know that will be hard for some people who spend that week with their family, but it’s also the first time a lot of Whovians who go to school out of state would be able to attend a meetup since August!
In terms of location, we’re thinking about potentially going to a restaurant, some place that can accommodate a large group. If we can get an approximate headcount far enough in advance we can make reservations and maybe get a function room or something! We’re still taking suggestions for restaurants. So far, Fire and Ice has been suggested.
I was thinking that, in addition to dinner, we could also go to a park or something to take pictures…though not for too long! We don’t want anyone without Gallifreyan physiognomy to freeze!
Let us know what you think on the Facebook page! If you have any suggestions we’ll be happy to hear them!
Hope to see you there!
~Tori the TARDIS
here are the last few pictures i have because everyone loves the holmes siblings
From our 10/27/12 joint Halloween Party/Meetup with Sherlock Boston!
WE HAVE SOME PRETTY COOL PEOPLE IN OUR GROUP.
LOOK AT LADY MYCROFT!!
Oh my god I need some. :D
I HAVE LIKE A ZILLION DUDE.
THEY’RE KIND OF BORING
BUT PRETTY NIFTY.
I WON’T HAVE TO WRITE THE URL ON PEOPLE’S NAPKINS ANYMORE.
Getting ready to head to the BOSTON WHOVIAN/SHERLOCK BOSTON HALLOWEEN PARTY!
(running late and missing trains like it’s my job as usual, of course)
The Boston Whovians’ End-of-Summer Picnic!
First of all, I’d like to apologize that I’ve been neglecting this blog as of late. I know most people tend to get their information about BW things from the facebook group (which now has over 370 members! WOW!), but I want this page to serve as a way of getting the word out there about gatherings, letting more people know we exist, and sharing the AMAZING photos that are taken at our meetups and photoshoots.
So, that being said, if any of you have photos from either of the CTcon meetups or any of our other events, please submit them! :D I am also always welcoming of suggestions, questions, complaints, or comments about the group both here and on facebook. (and on the Boston Whovians discussion board which will hopefully be ready for action very soon!)
NOW, ON TO THE ACTUAL POINT OF THIS POST.
THE BOSTON WHOVIANS WILL BE HOSTING AN END-OF-SUMMER PICNIC ON THE BOSTON COMMON ON AUGUST 18TH.
We will be meeting at 12:00pm in the general vicinity of the gazebo. If you are unsure of where that is, just let me know and I’ll give you directions! The picnic, like most of our events, will continue until everyone gets tired of each other and leaves. You can arrive as late and stay as early as you need to! Even if you can only pop by for a few minutes, we’d love to meet you!
Cosplay is, as always, encouraged, but not required. Photos can and will be taken in mass quantities, so remember to bring your camera!
This is a picnic, so remember to bring a blanket! More importantly, if you are able to bring any kind of food, drink, snack, or supplies please do! Just let me know what you’re bringing so I can keep track of what we need. If you have any sort of food allergies at all, please let me know so I can inform those bringing food!
ALSO, as those who have attended our meetups in the past know, we are a group with varied tastes in geekery and usually wind up discussing (or even cosplaying!) other fandoms at our events. However, for this meetup in particular, I am specifically extending the invitation to any and all BBC fans! That means Sherlockians, Merlin lovers, fans of Top Gear, Downton Abbey, and everything in between! And YES, non-Whovian cosplayers will be welcome! So pull out those scarves and jumpers!
In a way, I want this meetup to serve as a bit of a make-up for the slight disaster that was the Saturday all-BBC photoshoot at ConnectiCon, in addition to it being the “official” August meetup of the Boston Whovians. I want this to be a fun afternoon where all kinds of fans, especially those who aren’t usually able to make it to meetups, can hang out, discuss their favorite shows and actors, eat food, take silly photos, and, of course, freak out about the upcoming 7th series of Doctor Who. So, of course, I remind you all to please be courteous, welcoming, and friendly to each other during this event and ESPECIALLY be courteous to those around us.
I’m not sure how many people will be attending, as of yet (please RSVP either on the facebook event page or by sending me a message on this blog!) but if it’s as large a group as I am hoping for, we definitely don’t want the group to get a bad reputation for being disruptive! :D
I hope I’ve covered everything about what will surely be a wonderful meetup! If you have any questions at all you can ask me here on this blog or through the Boston Whovians facebook page! Please reblog this to spread the word! I can’t wait to see you all in a few weeks! Allons-y! Geronimo! The game is on! :D
~Tori (the TARDIS)
WOOHOO. PICNIC. SIGNAL BOOST.
REBLOG THIS! :D