Apparently my mom thinks that if you’re an American, you’re not supposed to like Doctor Who at all. She thinks it’s "not right". Please help me prove her wrong by reblogging or even liking this if you’re an American (or just not British in general) and like DW.
Not British. :) Je suis belge!
Whovian mexicana por aquí :D
I live in the US and I run a Doctor Who fanclub with over 1000 members just in my area….
And I’m valiantly fighting the urge to start singing Next to Normal.
Anywho, it’s been MONTHS since I’ve used this blog properly. School and responsibilities got the better of me…plus I was killing a lot of my free time on my roleplay blog.
Things with The Boston Whovians have gotten more “legitimate” than ever, there are almost 700 of us now, we’re having meetups every month, I’m finally delegating and letting people help me out, and we’re planning big things for the future.
I’m writing and am actually an editor for a new blog about ladies in nerd culture called Feminerdity, so that’s been taking up some time too. (Though not as much as it probably should…) It’s even getting me press passes to cons, like Anime Boston this past weekend…so that’s pretty damn awesome. It’s almost like I’m becoming a real writer.
On top of all that my headspace, while not as bad as it was back in September and October, is certainly not 100% great. Plus, I’ve been grappling with a lot of feelings regarding relationships and sexuality and where I stand in all of that. (For the record, I’ve started identifying as queer, if a label is required of me.) I’m also coming to a point in my life where I realize that I have to actually deal with my issues for what they are, rather than hide in obsessions…I’m getting there, slowly but surely. I’ll be a functioning adult yet.
Basically, in the last nearly-a-year that I haven’t been on Tumblr much, a lot has changed…but really a lot has stayed the same. I’m still as nerdy as they come…but I’m also thinking a lot more independently than I used to. I’d like to think I’ve moved on to something like “fangirling with a purpose”, and I hope this blog will come to reflect that a little and be more than just a place where I keysmash and waste too much time.
….that being said….I missed everyone a lot. I hope you’re all well!
Yes, we have a WePay account now….because they’re COOL.
Also, fundraising, even in very small amounts, is going to help us become an even more amazing group in the future!
This money WILL NOT be going in anyone’s pocket. It’s going to be directly benefiting YOU the members of the Boston Whovians.
To give you some idea of what we’ll be able to do once we have some club funds:
- have cooler prizes for costumes contests and games and such
- actually buy food/snacks/refreshments for meetups
- buy nicer business cards
- buy a nicely printed sign/banner
- have group funds to contribute to things like tips and bills when we go out together
- help Whovians on tight budgets pay for transportation to meetups
- contribute to group-rate convention passes
- rent a table at cons so we can sell things we make and generally show off how awesome we are
- save money to rent out places for BIG events (like the 50th)…which is a step towards having a CON of our own someday in the distant future!
WePay is also going to be the perfect way to collect payments for things like tshirts and bracelets, which people have talked about having made in the past.
ALSO, sometime before the Christmas Party, I will be accepting payments for raffle tickets so, even if you aren’t able to attend the event, you’ll be able to be in the running for some of the cool prizes we’ll have up for grabs! :D
I’m so, so excited about the future of this group! I love all of you and can’t wait to see where the next year takes us!
~Tori, the TARDIS
Sorry about the lack of updates about this before now, things got a little crazy and uncertain for a while. But, rest assured, this meetup is happening!
- We will be meeting tomorrow (12/24), around 1pm, in front of Faneuil Hall in Boston. NOT THE PRU! (We figured a change of scenery wouldn’t hurt!)
- We’ll get some lunch in the awesome Faneuil Hall food court, wander around for a bit, take pictures, and generally socialize. If anyone wants to sing happy birthday and eat cupcakes or something for the show’s 49th birthday, I’d totally be down for that!
- There is NOT a specified “end time” for this event. As with all of our meetups, come when you can and leave when you need to.
- This is going to be a very casual meetup. Don’t feel like you have to go crazy with the costuming, especially if it means you won’t be warm! I’m not expecting there to be a huge turn out (though I’ve been wrong before…) so this will be a nice relaxed, chance for everyone to get to know each other better!
- We’ll probably be discussing some plans for the CHRISTMAS PARTY. I also want to talk about the potential of fund-raising for the group, so if you can make it, come with some ideas!
- Unfortunately, I do not have the Boston Whovians sign with me. I didn’t have enough arms to carry it along with everything else I needed to bring home for Thanksgiving. :( If anyone else wants to bring some kind of signage, feel free! Though, I think we’re all pretty good at finding each other at this point.
- If you can, please RSVP to the event on Facebook! This way we know how many people to expect and can know who we’re waiting for!
DID I COVER EVERYTHING? GOOD.
I hope I get to see at least a few of you there!
-Tori, the TARDIS
Also, my train home is (most likely) not until 8pm. If the meetup breaks up a few hours before that (which it probably will) I REALLY want to go and see Skyfall. Because BRITISH REASONS. If anyone wants to join me, that would be cool!
I’m honestly so overwhelmed it’s a little ridiculous.
I love this fandom and everyone in it, despite it’s flaws.
I especially adore my Boston Whovians.
I can’t wait for all the adventures to come!
Well, the Halloween party may have been barely a week ago, but we’re already planning for the November meetup!
We’re planning on keeping it much more low-key….and much more indoors! It’s starting to get really chilly, even for people who wear costumes that involve twelve foot scarves!
Be sure to check out the posts about it on the facebook page. We plan these things by taking a vote about dates and locations and seeing what works for the most people!
Right now, the popular date seems to be November 24th, a couple of days after Thanksgiving. I know that will be hard for some people who spend that week with their family, but it’s also the first time a lot of Whovians who go to school out of state would be able to attend a meetup since August!
In terms of location, we’re thinking about potentially going to a restaurant, some place that can accommodate a large group. If we can get an approximate headcount far enough in advance we can make reservations and maybe get a function room or something! We’re still taking suggestions for restaurants. So far, Fire and Ice has been suggested.
I was thinking that, in addition to dinner, we could also go to a park or something to take pictures…though not for too long! We don’t want anyone without Gallifreyan physiognomy to freeze!
Let us know what you think on the Facebook page! If you have any suggestions we’ll be happy to hear them!
Hope to see you there!
~Tori the TARDIS